Monday, January 18, 2010

The meeting


Today was the morning that I had to give a presentation on the benefits of the library on the ship.  As you can see, I got them to all raise their hands.  They are pretty game for anything at this point in the trip.  The point of the handraising was to just see if I could get them to raise their hands, and then while they had their hands up, I told them that they had just pledged to only take things out of the library if they had checked them out.  This followed a presentation on the UVa Honor System, so, hopefully, it will take.  I was relieved that they laughed at my joke when I said that the ship library was twice the size of the library at Virginia Tech.  OK, the two Virginia Tech students didn't laugh as hard. 



I also took my lion friend in to show them that we do have security in the library.
All this was after a pretty sleepless night for a lot of the students--not from partying, but from lack of feeling like partying or sleeping.  My friend, Tim, will appreciate the sea sickness that was going around.  The ship staff recognizes the problems of the first days on the ship and strategically placed barf bags all over the ship.



The students had their last day or orientation and classes begin tomorrow morning at 0800.  Tonight they had their activity fair, so they've joined groups of people with similar interests.  It will be interesting to see what they come up with.   The faculty are working hard on their classes and bringing us more stuff to do in the library.  We have been the major hub of "where is........"  or "how do I ........?"  I'm glad I spent time roaming around to figure out where everything is.

It's been a long day.  Our student assistants report to work tomorrow, so we'll be training. It was a good day, though with one whale sighting while sitting with a bunch of guys at lunch.  Good eyes, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment