Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Resolution

It's been years since I did a New Year's Resolution, but this year seems so fraught with possibilities that I thought I would take one on. I resolve to fully immerse myself in the Semester at Sea Voyage by participating in as many shipboard and port activities as I can that involve the students. One goal is to be able to call at least 100 of the student by name and be so "present" that they will be able to say "Hi Warner" when they run into me.

I've had a lot of conversations with past librarians and faculty, and they have all been involved with the students to different degrees. On the ship, the librarian is always "on duty". I embrace that idea. I'm not the type to seek refuge in my cabin (although, I'm not the type to sing Karaoke either). I've worked directly with students for all my adult life, so I know that the interactions can be very fulfilling, and they can sometimes break your heart. It's just a risk you take.

So, I'm going to throw myself out there.

3 comments:

  1. That's the spirit! I have no doubt you'll immerse yourself -- and really enjoy it. You'll know more than 100 students by name in no time. Just remember, it will be easier for them to learn your name than the other way around!

    Bon Voyage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Donna said - and don't forget you'll want to learn all the staff, faculty and life long learners names as well. And you will be able to stuff those 100's of names in your head and many more faces, I'll bet. The shipboard community is the gem of the experience that most often is overlooked while blogging and describing the experience, but for me is the one that was most unique and cherished. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With that attitude, you'll love every minute of the voyage, Warner! Do get to know the life long learners and other staff as well as students, though. Most of them are interesting folks, it seems.
    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete