Monday, December 28, 2009

Tick tick

In two weeks from today, Nancy and I will get on the airplane from Charlottesville to San Diego. We are leaving on Jan 11 just in case any of this crazy weather causes flying problems. We actually get on the ship on the afternoon of Jan 13. We want our luggage to get there on time as well.

I think it seems sooner because Nancy has her clothes spread out on the bed in our guest room along with her luggage. She wants to be ready, and I'm sure the exact group of clothes will change many times between now and then.

By getting to San Diego early (we hope), we plan to visit the zoo and also buy a lot of the incidentals like sunscreen, bug spray, etc that we don't want to have to pack. We'll also get snacks and other foodstuffs.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Warner and Nancy,
    I'm looking forward to following your trip around the world in the next few months. I'm so excited for you both even though I will miss you. Don't worry about the horses, Nancy. They will be in good hands and we will be sure to be there if needed.
    John and I leave Jan 10 for Ecuador and Galapagos for 16 days. We will try to leave the CHO airport open for you guys to fly out the next day.
    My best to both of you.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning to read your blog as well, Warner. I'm an LLL alum of three voyages and member of the Alumni Bd. I'll be getting off the Reunion Voyage as you guys get on board next week.

    Just one suggestion - sign up to have a shipboard family, a group of students for whom you will be substitute grandparents. The LLL Coordinator usually sets up the program and they usually have more students that the LLL's alone can manage. It's great fun to get to know a few students really well. I love spoiling them with birthday celebrations, study breaks, ice cream on Deck 7, holiday goodies, whatever. So, in preparation for that, go heavy on the snacks you buy in San Diego - treats from the US are always welcome when you're on the other side of the globe. The ship snack bars have stocked more and more American candy and cookies but never anything like Pepperidge Farm. Also, if you have time, go to a party store and pick up little things like a sheet of Valentine hearts or shamrock stickers or small plastic Easter eggs for jellybeans, anything to mark the holiday for these kids far from home. It's really fun!

    If you have any last minute questions, I'd be happy to respond (marsea02atyahoo). Bon Voyage and keep writing!

    Marjorie Seawell
    S02, S05, S09

    ReplyDelete