Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Getting my finances in order

While I'm at sea, I don't want to have to worry about any financial concerns, so I spent an hour at the credit union today making sure everything was in order. I already have a primary credit card and an ATM card, but it is recommended that you have a second credit card in case you lose that one, or heaven forbid, the company cuts you off. All of my bills at home are already set up to pay with automatic withdrawal except for the pesky propane bill, so I set up a new checking account with the credit union to give me an additional ATM card and online bill pay.

I also had them notify the credit card company that they would be seeing some charges from around the world. Otherwise, one charge in Japan would create a hold on my credit card, and I don't want that to happen. Then I moved some money around from savings to checking so I can make my credit card payment online. It only took 3 tellers 20 min to get all this set up--along with a bunch of forms. I'll go to my real bank tomorrow and get another VISA card, and I'll be all set.

That's one more check off my to do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment