Friday, February 5, 2010

Exam Time


There's a quiet throughout the ship this morning. People aren't having as many conversations, and they're reading as they eat breakfast.  This is an indicator that we are in the first exam period. First papers are due for a lot of classes, and students with book reports are finishing up reading the books.  The first Global Studies exam is tomorrow night, and kids are busy filling out their "25 Things to Know for Each Country" sheets. We are in a serious academic climate at the moment, and there are some bleary eyes to attest to it.

But every serious study time requires a study break, so last night one of the seas (Aegean, I think) had a faculty/staff/lifelong-learner mixer. There was brief dancing and conversations, and I was actually able to introduce some of the students to each other.  Then like a light switch, the students went back to study mode, and I went to bed.

Some of my friends at home might have seen me yesterday. I took a long walk on the treadmill in the fitness center. Since staring at yourself in a treadmill is pretty boring, I visualized one of my lunchtime walks at UVa (without the snow). As I walked, I saw many of  you and you said hello.  My friend, Stuart Schwartz, who is teaching psychology on the ship said I didn't need to worry about visualization as abnormal behavior. Wheww.  This workout stuff is helping. I've actually lost two pounds--thanks to laying off the potatoes and pasta.

Last night was a little rocky, but we're all getting used to it.  Nothing fell off the shelves. We can also feel the temp drop and are wearing sweatshirts on the outside decks as the ship veer  a little further north.  I'd also like to assure all my friends back in Charlottesville, that I feel for them as they deal with another wintry blast.  Warm thoughts to you all.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again, Warner!
    Your Blog rocks.

    -Jer A10 I.T. Coordinator.

    ReplyDelete