Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In Japan

We're staying in a Ryokan in Takohama Japan. That is one of those places there you sleep on a futon on the floor and take a communal bath and eat a sumptious meal.  I am hoping this gets through because I am just following my instincts with Japanese instructions on the webpage.  I will not be able to post any pictures yet. The ship has to cut off its internet when it arrives in the port, so I have been cut off from the outside world with the exception of a short post to facebook 

Yesterday, Tue. we arrived in Japan and docked to the stirring sound of a drum band at the port.  It gave us something to do while we waited to clear immigration.  Then it took a while to get through--fingerprints, photos,etc.  Then we scattered.  It reminded me of a game we played when I was a kid and one.  Someone was the fox and the rest were chickens and we scattered to all the winds.  That is what happened in port.  We had dinner with our extended family on Monday, and everyone was doing something different.  Some had bought a railpass which let them move about the country on the train. Most people were going into Tokyo on the first day, and that is what we did.  I have to say that the students figure out this travel thing pretty quickly--how to negotiate the rail system, currency exchange, etc. 

Nancy and I took the subway near the port to the rail station in Yokohama.  We got some help from generous Japanese who spoke English and seemed able to discern that we were trying to figure things out. They came up and asked if we needed help.  What a gracious country.  Then we caught the train in the rail station (had to figure out fares, routes, etc. ) and got to Tokyo. We spent some time touring the grounds of the Royal Palace, which was quite historic and interesting. We learned about shrines and just watched people. Then we went for a walk in the city (and got coffee at Starbucks).

Then  we went (this computer just changed fonts) to Akihabara.  That is the elctronics part of the city and is blocks of technology and Anime, etc.  This was pretty much sensory overload.  We finally left and got a real noodle dinner.. The place was very interesting.  You went up to vending machine,chose your meal from a picture, paid with cash and took the receipt to the counter where you sat while they fixed the meal.  It was delicious, and I slurped like everyone else..Then we made our way back the ship--negotiating those routes backward.  We were quite proud of ourselves from having accomplished this feat.

This morning, we caught another train with Theresa Pepin, the asst. librarian and a good friend and headed to Takayama.  It is a small tourist town up in the mountains, and there is snow on the ground.  It is out of season, so we could walk around.  The ryokan is a unique experience that we wanted to try out.  I have to say that the train ride up here was breaht-taking, and I could devote an entire blog to that.Now, I cannot believe all the things I ate. There were easily 10 dishes included in the meal and lots of foods that have never ever been in my mouth.  And it was a feast.  I will post more with pictures when I can get on the internet with my computer.
Many of us are making our way from one port to the other going cross-country. The idea of losing a day in Japan being on the ship did not appeal, and this is a safe, easily negotiated country. No proof-reading on this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment